Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Perfect Couple

((summary taken from AsianMediaWiki))

Romance can bloom out of the strangest events. Sometimes even very embarrassing ones. Running after a pickpocket, Detective Kang Jae Hyuk (Lee Dong Wook, My Girl) finds out how problematic journalist Choi Soo Jin (Hyun Young, The Art of Seduction) can be when the skewer that holds her delicious treat magically ends up impaled in his abdomen. Things become more complicated when Kang becomes the police's media rep, as Choi is transferred to crime reporting. The reality show that ensues ("The Choi vs. Kang Report") enables the bickering pair to pursue a crime boss for the benefit of both their careers. But the two start to form a reluctant but formidable alliance: he's good looking, a great fighter, and a good detective. And she's determined to get her story done. Together, they make The Perfect Couple.




My Rating:


This movie starred Lee Dong Wook (Gong-chan off My Girl), so for most of it, I was busy sighing dreamily while watching him kick butt on screen. I could watch this over and over again, just for him. Sometimes, I'm such a fangirl. ^_^

As for the movie itself, I enjoyed it.. even though the story was pretty standard as far as Korean movies go. All the basic plot devices are there: an inital "rivalry" between the main characters which eventually turns to love; a drunken soju scene, which forces the male lead to carry home the passed out female lead; an undercover drug operation, coupled with an eventual drug bust.

But it was just so funny, I really didn't mind! Plus, at this point, I was expecting it before hand... so at least I was prepared for the standard Korean fare. But again, the comedy in this was its strongest point: I just couldn't stop laughing! One of my favorite parts was when the main characters were introduced to each other after learning they'd be working together. Even though this is after they've already had many awkward, embarrassing encounters... Soo-Jin pretends not to know him, and calmly says, "nice to meet you", and he just stares at her with a "you've got to be kidding" look. After all, this is shortly after she'd thrown a knife at him, lol.

Or later, when a bottle explodes in front of Soo-jin's friend. Angry that the blast messed up her hair, she precedes to chase one of the bad guys around the junk yard while throwing flaming bottles of alcohol at him. Finally, towards the end (once the police have arrived) you can see her in the background still chasing him, and hear him yelling for the police to arrest him; anxious to escape the crazy woman. VERY funny scene! And one of many!

I just adored Yeong Hyeon-- I have ever since I saw her in the drama Bad Family. I think her voice is cute, and I just can't stop laughing whenever she speaks. She's such a great comedic actress--it's like this role was literally written for her. Perhaps it was! And of course Lee Dong Wook was awesome as the kick-ass cop, who suffers from "peak-phobia". Watching them together was very entertaining... I didn't sense all that much chemistry between them, if I'm being honest, but I still think they make a pretty cute couple. ^_^

Overall, a very entertaining, and funny movie. I can't really say there's much to set it apart from similar movies though. I know in a couple of months I will have forgotten it, and won't be able
to tell you how it was different from other romantic comedies I've watched. It's pretty standard, really. But while I was watching it, I enjoyed it, and that's all you can really ask for, right?! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creepy (2016)

  ((summary taken from Rotten Tomatoes)) A retired detective is asked to investigate an old missing family case. Download:   Watch on ROKU