Wednesday, November 29, 2006

He Was Cool


((summary taken from AsianMediaWiki))

Having replied to a wicked post on her school website, Ye-won keeps getting a threatening call from a boy named Ji Eun-sung. Having heard about him from her friend, she keeps running away from him. But they kissed accidentally when Ye-won was trying to escape from him. Having his lips stolen by Ye-won, Eun-sung threatens her to marry him, adding that no other girl has ever kissed him before. The only thing Ye-won can do is to obey for whatever Eun-sung said. At first, Ye-won just hate him the most for his self-righteousness and unreasonableness. But she gradually finds herself is starting to fall for him…




My Rating:


Dang. I really wanted to like this one, really I did... but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get into it. The plot at times was just ridiculous, and the main girl really got on my nerves after awhile. I just did not understand what he saw in her... and the explanation (if you could call it that) came way too late. Song Seung-heon is really the only reason to watch this movie: if you're a fan of his then I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Another thing that bothered me (as nit-picky as this seems) is the title. In a movie titled, He Was Cool, there really needs to be a protagonist worthy of the title. In this movie, I just didn't think he was. Sure, he was cool at parts, particularly in the beginning, but I've seen MUCH cooler characters in other movies--and he really paled in comparison to them. I mean, it's sweet when a guy cries because he misses his mother, but I wouldn't exactly call that "cool"--or for a guy to be sulking because a girl who was forced to date him, suddenly wants to break up. Eh, he was a carbon-copy of a very stereotypical protagonist, and I've seen better representations of similar characters in many other movies of this same genre. So I just wasn't buying it... sorry.

But he was cute... ^_^

Another thing that turned me off was the pacing. The relationship happened way too fast: one minute she's cursing him, the next, kissing him. Her actions just didn't make sense, and came off overly dramatic. The biggest thing that bothered me, however, was that there were just parts that made no sense.

SPOILERS

Why did Eun-sung agree to go to America in the first place, and why didn't Ye-won stop him? After all, they were just in the middle of a fight--they hadn't officially broken up or anything. And she never got together with that other guy, so I don't know what they were talking about--all she did was go drinking with him. It's not like they started making out after he told her he liked her: she cracked a couple lame jokes, and then passed out drunk. She never gave him any kind of answer, and nothing Eun-sung over-heard was enough to make him think she was being unfaithful, or had left him.

Oh! And the ending!

Maybe I missed something, but that was just ridiculous. After a year's gone by, it appears she's moved on and is dating that other guy... then she notices it's snowing, and rushes off to meet her ex-boyfriend? I mean, when did they promise each other to meet during the first snowfall in the first place?! That came out of nowhere. And why would they meet at the phone booth of all places? Why deem a place where she was nearly raped their "reconciliation" spot? I know he (unintentionally) saved her, but there were sweeter places where this special moment could have taken place. And the one liner he told her once they were finally reunited--gah, so cliche! I was gagging and laughing at the same time!

END SPOILERS

The fighting scenes though were really cool--and I did really enjoy the first half hour. But in a couple months, I won't be able to tell this movie apart from the hundreds that are just like it.

Overall, it was okay. Very average, and not very memorable. But I have seen worse. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creepy (2016)

  ((summary taken from Rotten Tomatoes)) A retired detective is asked to investigate an old missing family case. Download:   Watch on ROKU