Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Kadokawa Mystery and Horror Tales, Volume 1-3


VOLUME 1
I liked all of these short stories... but they really didn't seem scary or mysterious. In one word, I'd say they were ironic. Meinichi was the only one that even bordered on "horror", and Desire To Kill was the only one I completely understood. For some reason, I didn't understand the significance of the endings for Meinichi and Cruel Kidnapping. But I'm sure it's something really obvious that I'm just overlooking...

They were all entertaining, and I'll definitely be watching the other volumes next. The directing in Meinichi in particular, was impressive-- I really loved some of the images he captured. My favorite story though, was probably Desire To Kill. But they were all good.


VOLUME 2
Awesome episodes! I liked them all, except perhaps Wooden Clogs. The other two though were excellent--I just loved the twists! Regeneration was cool, especially the ending, and the same goes for Last Days As A Teenager. The stories and the twists were excellent!

Overall, I liked these stories a lot better than the episodes in the 1st volume. I thought they seemed to fit the idea of "mystery" and "horror" a lot better--though I still think the ending for Wooden Clogs was really disappointing, even though I understood it. But still, overall, it's definitely worth a watch. ^_^


VOLUME 3
I liked all three of these stories, though if I had to pick a favorite from this volume it would be World of Infinity. Overall, they were a lot like what I expected: they truly embodied horror and mystery. Ghost House was a little predictable, but I still liked it, surprisingly enough. But it is a pretty standard Ghost Story, so don't expect too much from it. And Whispering Tree had a fantastic story, and although not particularly creepy, it kept me hooked from beginning to end.

I think this is the only volume where I enjoyed each story... in the other two volumes there was always one I just didn't seem to like. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say this was my favorite volume though...


FAVORITE EPISODES
After having watched all three of the volumes, I'd say that all of them were enjoyable--I really can't decide which volume I liked the most, although I did have a hard time choosing which episode I liked best from Volume 2. But here were my favorite episodes, categorized by volume:

Volume 1: Desire to Kill
Volume 2:
Regeneration/Last Day as a Teenager
Volume 3: World of Infinity

All the episodes are short, so I'd say they're definitely worth a watch if you have time to kill, or are just looking for something fun to watch.

My Rating:


2 comments:

Creepy (2016)

  ((summary taken from Rotten Tomatoes)) A retired detective is asked to investigate an old missing family case. Download:   Watch on ROKU