Sunday, January 13, 2008

Secret


((summary taken from AsianMediaWiki))

Lun (Jay Chou) lives with his father, Chiu (Anthony Wong), the music teacher of Tamkang Secondary School. Both of them are very good at music and piano. This is the first day Lun admitted to Tamkang Secondary School. When he walks through the campus with his classmates, a mysterious piano solo draws his attention. He follows the song and finds that an ethereal girl is playing piano in the old music room.

The piano girl is Yu (Guey Lun-Mei), one of Lun's classmates. She is always late for school and hence sits next to Lun at the back row. The two become intimate friends and spend a lot of time together. "What's the melody you played the first day we met?" asked Lun, "That's my secret." Yu whispered in his ear.

As the graduation day approaches, Yu decides to tell Lun her secret...




My Rating:


First off, I really want to say that I'm not a huge fan of classical music. I know nothing about Beethoven, Chopin, or any of those other classical composers, and will not go out of my way to listen to any of their musical scores. But wow--this film.

The musical score was intense, beautiful, and haunting. I didn't know classical music could sound like this! In fact, I'm learning that the only time I seem to be able to appreciate this type of music, is when it's portrayed in Asian dramas and movies! Honestly, I would buy this soundtrack. It's that good.

And frankly, I'm envious. I had no idea Jay Chou was that talented! Not only can he play the piano magnificently, sing, and act, but he can also direct: I had trouble believing this was his directorial debut. This film was so well planned out. I really can't say it often enough, just how beautiful this movie was.

The acting was phenomenal, the piano pieces that were chosen always fit the mood and tone of the story. And the directing, again, was amazing. I don't think I'm ever going to get the finale out of my head... it was almost poetic. And all the characters were likable, believable, real. The main couple had excellent chemistry, and seemed to embody the whole notion of love-at-first-sight wonderfully. Not even understanding the situation, I ached for them, and really wanted them to be reunited.

Also, I love how the relationship between the dad and the main character was portrayed. It was awkward, touching, strange, and sad. Even though they are both on film together very rarely, every time they were together, they left a strong impression on me.

I think one of the main reasons I was so blown away by this movie, was because I really wasn't expecting much going in. I actually thought it was going to be a tear-jerking drama, but it wasn't. And I love the 'secret' at the end. Throughout the entire movie, I thought I had it figured out, and then the AMAZING finale came! I was so happy--I couldn't have wished for a better, more intense ending. That final scene with Jay Chou will forever be stuck in my head. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a more intense, exciting, beautiful way to end a film. I was just blown away the entire time I was watching it.

So yes, I'd definitely recommend this movie. If you're a fan of classical romances, you won't be disappointed. If you're a fan of Jay Chou or his music you won't be disappointed. Or if you just love movies centered around music, classical in particular, you won't be disappointed. And finally, if you like movies where the ending actually manages to surprise and delight you... well, you get the idea. ^_^

Of course, if you hate all that, then steer clear. lol.

(this mv contains MAJOR spoilers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creepy (2016)

  ((summary taken from Rotten Tomatoes)) A retired detective is asked to investigate an old missing family case. Download:   Watch on ROKU