Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Fly, Daddy, Fly

This movie wasn't what I expected at all. In fact, it was better than I could have ever imagined. It was inspirational, sad, and touching. I have never seen a main character who is so easy to root for--someone who you honestly, whole-heartedly want to see succeed, no matter what. Seeing the transformation he went through--it really was amazing to witness. And it's always wonderful to see good triumph over evil, especially when it's achieved through the use of an underdog.

The main actor, Lee Moon-sik... they could not have chosen a better person for the lead role. And I heard he actually trained extensively for the part too: at the beginning, it's not due to great use of makeup, or some sort of fat-suit--the actor really transformed his character into a completly different person by the end of the movie. I couldn't believe it at first, but once you watch it, you can really apppreciate all the work that went into creating such a well-rounded, likeable, character.

And I'll even admit it: I got a little teary-eyed at a few parts, especially towards the end. And I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but it wasn't always because something sad was going on. Geez, I get way too emotional over some of these films... lol.

To sum up: this was just a great, fun, entertaining drama. I really can't say that enough! And part of it was about boxing. Boxing! I know nothing about that sport, nor have I ever cared to--I've never even seen Rocky!

There are so many great things about this movie... but if I had to choose one particular aspect, I'd have to say, hands-down, its the acting. The actors are the ones who brought this movie to life. The story was great, don't get me wrong, but I just can't imagine it being as effective if other actors had been cast in those roles. And if the acting had been horrible, this movie just wouldn't have worked...

Lee Joon-ki was wonderful too, although this isn't the first time I've seen him. I watched him in My Girl (which also happens to be one of my favorite-top-5 Korean Dramas) and though I didn't think he particularly stood out or took my breath away (which he did for so many viewers) in this film, I took notice. I guess I just prefer the type of character he played in this movie more. I like guys who can fight, and fight well. In My Girl he played a womanizer, which immediately turned me off his character. But now, seeing him act out a character who's very cool without being pomous or conceited, I have to say I'm quickly becoming a fan of his. I definitely intend to look up some more of his movies and dramas--same goes for Lee Moon-sik, of course. ^_^

One thing that surprised me about this movie was the lack of romance in it. I am a huge fan of romance, and almost every movie I watch needs to have at least some romantic love going on: the fact that this movie had none, and that I felt it still deserves a 5 stars, says something.

My only complaint: I wish they had translated the song lyrics, lol. Other than that, I plan to buy this movie; and hey, I may even buy the soundtrack too! ;)

My favorite scene? The bus-race. Hands down. I was going to give this movie a 5 based on that scene alone. Awesome. Awesome. I couldn't stop smiling throughout that whole race. And of course the boxing match at the end... but that's to be expected, since the entire movie is building towards their confrontation.

Again: I really, really, really loved this movie. I loved the music, the directing, the fight coreography, the acting, the boxing--everything. I really couldn't find a flaw in it. I'm sure there is one, but for me, this movie was perfect.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creepy (2016)

  ((summary taken from Rotten Tomatoes)) A retired detective is asked to investigate an old missing family case. Download:   Watch on ROKU