Saturday, March 31, 2007

200 Pound Beauty

To be honest, when I sat down to watch this, I really didn't expect to like it. I'd seen a Chinese movie awhile ago that sounded very similar in plot (Love on a diet) which I absolutely hated. So I really didn't have very high expectations for this movie... but since it was a quick download, and my internet had been acting up, I figured, why not?

And actually... I ended up really liking it.

The main character, Hanna, was very likable and easy to sympathize with. You really want her to be happy, and it doesn't take long to realize that plastic surgery is really the only answer for her--the moment she goes into the doctor's office and proclaims, "I died yesterday," my heart just broke for her. In her eyes, she really did have nothing to lose. The whole thing came off very realistic to me--the obvious psychological strain something like that would take on a person--and the different ways in which they're treated, based solely on how they look. Even though I expected it, it was still a bit of a shock...

The one problem I've always had with these type of movies though, is that the overweight person always looks really fake to me. In this movie it was a little better--in Love on a diet, the fat people just looked ridiculous--but still, the entire time I'm watching it, I can't help but think, "it's so obvious they're not really that fat." For once, I wish they'd use an actual overweight person, instead of just dressing up a beautiful girl, and trying to make her look like something she isn't. But alas, I fear it's never to be.

SPOILERS

One other small complaint I had, was with the romance. I REALLY wanted to be able to cheer whole-heartedly for her, and to see her end up with someone who would love her, despite the fact that she used to be fat. And the male lead seemed like the perfect guy--until they threw in that wonderful little scene in the bathroom. After that, no matter how likable and nice they tried to make him seem... I just couldn't get that one scene out of my head, and desperately wanted her to find someone better. Even though I realize it was probably necessary, I still thought it was a great waste. For a second there, they actually made me believe he was a sweet, decent (if not rare) male who was capable of looking beyond someone's physical appearance.

They should have either made him not be a lying, selfish, jerk, or else had Hanna fall in love with someone who wasn't exactly conventionally handsome, or skinny.

Instead, after breaking her heart, over and over again, she still loves him. I really didn't want her to...

END OF SPOILERS

I really loved the music in this movie too, especially when she was performing the song, Maria, for the first time. It's that moment--when she's up on stage, looking nervous, scared, and insecure--and then all of a sudden it's like you can see the exact second when she comes to life, when her voice awakens, and it's simply incredible...

And wow, she can sing!

haha, if that really was her singing! Wouldn't it be ironic, if there was somebody behind the stage, and she was really only lip-syncing...? That alone would undermine the entire purpose of the movie, lol.

Another thing I loved, was the fact that everything didn't magically fix itself, the second she got skinny. She had a whole new set of problems to face, and they were just as difficult and real as the ones she faced when she was overweight. Even though I was condemning her for some of her decisions, it was easy to see that every wrong move she made, she realized and instantly regretted. And what's more... she made up for them. The ending, I thought, was perfect. Although the concert confession was a little over-the-top... even if it was necessary. ^_^

Overall, it was a very realistic, and touching movie. The comedy was well placed, and didn't feel inappropriate or forced. I really enjoyed it!

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creepy (2016)

  ((summary taken from Rotten Tomatoes)) A retired detective is asked to investigate an old missing family case. Download:   Watch on ROKU