Friday, March 9, 2007

올드미스 다이어리 (Old Miss Diary)

This is a great movie! It's funny, realistic, and the comedy is top-notch. All of the characters are extremely likable (although Mi-ja can be a little frustrating at times), but they're all very easy to root for. You really want them to succeed!

Of course, the real draw for me was the love story between Mi-ja and Director Ji. It was cute watching them bond over their hatred for their mutual enemy. And her interpretations of his actions was very funny... the fact that she was actually right, made it even funnier! Even if their romance wasn't the sole focus of the movie... it was really sweet. I really wanted him to turn you to be a nice guy, and for her to finally prove her statistics wrong.

On another completely unrelated note, I had no idea that this was based off a Korean sitcom. Now I really really want to see the television show. Please! Someone sub it!! ^_^

The three old woman were hilarious. One of my favorite scenes was when they were shopping for colored underwear, and then after buying it, they started strutting down the street. LOL. Such a funny scene! And the older guy, who lost his money to the bank, and kept returning, intending to rob it... who would have thought something like that could be so funny?! I laughed every time he was on the screen.

My only complaint is that the transition from comedy to drama happened way too fast. It happened so quickly that I hardly even realized it was happening! I kept waiting for the joke to come, for the character to just start laughing... but it never did. And it wasn't like it was just one huge dramatic element that hit one of the main characters--it was like a bunch of separate problems hit each of them individually! I never really had time to recover from one depressing situation, when another one would come cropping up.

Luckily though, it managed to deal with the problems swiftly, and return to the comedy that most of the movie is known for. In the end, it was like none of the bad stuff even happened, and we're just left, smiling and happy, knowing that most of the characters will be happy.

Another thing that bugged me, was the fact that I had trouble figuring out how Mi-ja and her family were all related. They mentioned it in the beginning of the movie, but I had trouble following what the old woman was saying, since at the time, I didn't know who any of these people were. Then, when I did, I had forgotten how she said they were all related. I know that the three older women are sisters, and that one of them is Mi-ji's grandmother... but I still have no idea how she's related to the other men in the house. I think she called one of them an uncle...

I guess people familiar with the sitcom, would already know, so they didn't feel the need to dwell on it. ^_^

Also, I just have to say: every time I watch a movie now, it's like I recognize someone from the K-drama, Bad Family. I had no idea they had such popular actors in that show!!

Anyway, to recap: very cute movie!

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creepy (2016)

  ((summary taken from Rotten Tomatoes)) A retired detective is asked to investigate an old missing family case. Download:   Watch on ROKU