Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Whispering Corridors 4: Voice

The only reason I'm reviewing this movie here, is because I just finished watching Whispering Corridors 3: Wishing Stairs, and I wanted something to compare it against. It seems like I'm watching the Whispering Corridors movies/sequels backwards, lol. I guess next in line is the second movie. ;)

But first, let me just say that the fourth movie in this franchise was a HUGE let down for me. I'd been wanting to see it ever since I saw the cover (which ironically enough, I didn't even use here). But keep in mind that I had not seen any of the previous films before this one, and so had no idea what to expect. Seeing that it was number 4, simply led me to believe that it must be good--why else would there be sequels?

And honestly, at first, I really did like this movie. For one thing, it wasn't your typical horror film. Instead of relying on cheap horror tricks, the first half seemed more focused on the story and the mystery behind Yeong-Eon's death. It was like watching a puzzle being put together--a creepy, strange puzzle--but an extremely entertaining one. And I really liked the fact that the movie was told from the ghost's perspective, and not from the victim's...

The second half, however, is when it started taking on the typical horror movie role. I was kind of angry, to be honest. Here they had this great idea, but instead of following through with it, they took the easy, predictable way out. It's like watching a really great drama, and then at the end, having the main character get hit by a car. She survives, of course, but only to learn that she has cancer and will die anyway.

It's like... what the @#*$#!!

And truthfully, some of the "killing" techniques were a little ridiculous (see above capture). The directing and acting, however, were top-notch, and the musical score was also great. Now if only they'd redo the ending!!

I'm giving it a 3.5/5 only because I thought it had so much more potential...

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creepy (2016)

  ((summary taken from Rotten Tomatoes)) A retired detective is asked to investigate an old missing family case. Download:   Watch on ROKU