Friday, March 9, 2007

구미호 가족 (The Fox Family)

Wow. This was a very messed up movie, lol. Luckily, I expected that, but still, I must say I was disappointed. I really didn't like this movie that much. I suppose I was expecting something more like The Happiness of the Katakuris--an extremely funny musical, that combined horror and comedy. I thought that this may be the Korean equivalent... but it wasn't. There were only two songs I really liked, and the humor was more perverse than laugh-out-loud funny.

Plus, there were just so many things that didn't make sense: the motivations of several characters, the "love" story, the history of the foxes (although that may be something that the intended audience would already know). And the ending was so very disappointing... it made me wonder why I wasted time watching this if nothing was really resolved. Not only that, but the big "mystery" was obvious: the killer was easy to spot right away.

That's not to say that there was nothing good about this movie. There is. The characters, with their naivety, is endearing... and watching them try to "fit in" with the humans is really funny. And I liked the young fox girl--her character was very cute. Also, it was cool how they made the youngest member of the family, the one who seems most indifferent to becoming human... she continues to act the most like a fox, and never quite fits into the human role she's been given. Then again, it's often normal for the youngest generation to "rebel", and since all the others were consumed with the idea of becoming human, I guess, in a way, her behavior makes the most sense. But really, it was the only part of the movie that I wasn't able to call ahead of time... which is probably why I liked it.

And their hunt for human victims was amusing... even if there were hundreds of better ways they could have gone about it.

Overall, it was amusing, and the story was interesting enough to keep me watching till the end. But I was expecting much more, so I'm still a little disappointed... it seems like they could have done a lot more with this story and these characters, than what they did. And most of the (perverted) humor, just wasn't in my taste.

I walked away knowing one thing: The Happiness of the Katakuris this is not.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creepy (2016)

  ((summary taken from Rotten Tomatoes)) A retired detective is asked to investigate an old missing family case. Download:   Watch on ROKU